Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ten on Tuesday

1. As some of you might have heard, Zane got his first chipped tooth at daycare on Friday. I'm not quite sure on the details, but somehow a rock made contact with Zane's face and now Zane has a busted lip and a chipped tooth. I was super sad initially, then angry, but that was followed by the realization that Zane probably was throwing rocks too or just as easily could have thrown a rock at someone else. These are the dangers of three year old boys playing together, but doesn't help with the mommy guilt I feel over it. The bad news is that it is hurting him when he brushes his teeth, or when he eats, and drinks which means we will be going to the dentist next week. Joy Joy!! For now his perfect, perfect, little baby teeth aren't quite so perfect and it breaks my heart. If you look closely you can see it on his bottom teeth, just right of the middle two. Sad face!


2. In other doctor appointment news Zane had his first ophthalmology appointment yesterday and did an amazing job. He loved the hospital, with all it's happy decorations, fish in the waiting room, and was very cooperative with the doctor's exam. The results are that he does have an astigmatism and will need to follow up yearly. Zach got glasses early on in life so I'm sure at some point Zane will need them, but not yet. Praise God! After getting his eyes dilated Zane asked to wear his sunglasses all day, what a smart kid.

 Zane checking out where momy works. He loved it! 
Rocking his cool shades in the pool. I think they might have been left in there, but oh well.

3. After his doctor's appointment Zane and I made a quick trip to the science center, which just so happens to be across the street. It was a special outing, with just Zane and I, since Ro was at daycare for the morning. Our trip to the Science Center was followed up with lunch with daddy, so it was a very special day indeed.

 We had never seen the dinosaurs outside before, since usually the Science Center is a winter activity.

Zane had a full conversation with the T-rex this time. He asked him what he liked to eat and then told me he thought he was tired.

The other favorite activity of the day was putting carbon atoms together, fun times with chemistry.

4. Rowan remains kind of sick and super crabby. His nose is still runny, but his cough is much better. He seems to think he should be held all the time now, which isn't like him at all, and his night time sleeping schedule is terrible. I think his not being able to breath is probably to blame, but it's been a rough week here in the sleep department. Currently I also have a cough which makes sleeping with him in the chair nearly impossible as my coughing wakes him up and vice versa. 

5. Last week Zane and I made bread together for the first time. I am admittedly not very confident in my bread making skills, so going into knowing that half of it is going to be used for texture play/making animal bread, takes a lot of the pressure off. Half of the dough was used for an actual loaf of bread and half we made into animals and faces, decorated with raisins. It was a great time, though the time it took for the dough to rise really threw him off. The down side of making homemade bread is that I can't stop myself from eating all of it once it's baked.

Kneading the dough
Rowan watching closely as Zane decorated his master pieces.

Finished product

6. The gorgeous, mild temperature weather of a few weeks ago has turned back into actual August weather, with temps in the upper nineties. This means we are back to inside fun for most of the day. To my pleasant surprise Zane's attention span is actually starting to become slightly longer. He plays big boy puzzles, strings blocks onto shoe strings, read books, and spends lots of time playing with canned goods, building and bowling. I love to see him actually play with something for more than two seconds. 

He can do this twenty four piece puzzle all by himself now. So proud of him!
 He strung all the blocks on a shoe string for the first time the other day. It took lots of concentration. I couldn't believe he stuck with it.
Rowan watching the big boys build with cans.

7. Today the boys and I went to buy Zane's winter clothes. It never ceases to amaze me that I have to buy pants when it is a hundred degrees outside, but if I don't they are all gone by the time it is actually winter. I have come to accept it and now Zane has a new winter wardrobe. He officially had to move across the isle to little boy shirts, but can still wear 4T pants. He has a really long torso, which means he usually ends up with arms that are too long, and have to rolled up, but at least his stomach is covered. Meanwhile, Rowan is definitely going to be too little for Zane's winter clothes. I thought it might work out perfectly with Ro being smaller, and born earlier in the year, but not so much. At some point I am going to have a ton of boy clothes to give away. 

8. How about another installment of "Things Zane Says." Sometimes, instead of asking if he could have ice cream he whispers, "maybe if I really good, I can have ice cream." But it's in a super quite whisper voice. Then when I say, "I don't know, maybe." His response is, "let my think.....ah ha, yes!" (My = me in Zane's life. This happens in all sorts of situations, like "Zane it's nap time." "let my think, ah ha... no!" 

9. As a follow up to that, recently Zane has started ad libbing dinner time prayer instead of his normal singing prayer. It usually is just some grumblings that we can't really understand. So I tried to explain to him that you can pray for people, like praying for Grandma. However, in Zane's language to = for, i.e. "I want that to my birthday." So Zane's prayer was "I pray to Grandma." That has a little bit different meaning, but close! Love me some three year old language.

10. In depressing news there is a new poop chart up in the bathroom. We are at two days of no poop in his pants, so Buzz Lightyear got to come out of the timeout closet. Dear God why is this still an issue?? He did finally admit to us, after being in huge amounts of trouble, that he doesn't want to stop playing to go to the potty, no kidding. My new weapon in my parenting arsenal is the timer on my phone. Randomly I set it and when it goes off he has to try to poop. What has my life come to..... whatever works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment