Zane, my very visual learner, ate it up. He learned quickly, loved counting to one hundred, with pennies, and was through the moon when he realized he had enough for the random, terribly ugly, Star Wars jammies that he had seen in Wal-Mart. There were a few Canadian coins in there, which was confusing to Zane because "this one has a girl on it, no money has girls one it." Dang it America, what the hell?? Anyway, after I moved passed my rage towards the US Treasury, we finished counting all his coins, and four dollar bills. He had twenty six dollars and seventy seven cents. It was literally burning a hole in his pocket so we headed to Target to find some sort of Darth Vader paraphernalia for Zane to spend his money on.
"Mom
this is my money, I did NOT steal it." So glad he cleared that up for
me, I was concerned he has robbed multiple piggy banks to get it.
Once we got there the difficult decisions began. There were no Darth Vader pajamas in his size, but there were Darth Vader jackets, shirts, pajama pants, underwear, hats, and of course the entire Star Wars toy isle, which was luckily very picked over. I remained very patient and kept my personal opinions of what he thought he should get to myself. We found Rowan some Darth Vader jammies, on clearance, in the midst of Zane's decision making. He was thrilled, but Zane remained stressed out about what to do. In the end he decided on the Darth Vader black and blue robe. I personally wanted to go with the awesome Darth Vader jacket, but it was not my money and not my decision to make.
We found the shortest line possible to check out in and quickly apologized to the lady who came up behind us, and warned her that we would be paying with all coins. Zane helped count out all his money and bragged to everyone who would listen that he was buying the robe with his own money. That he had saved his money for so long (truthfully about a year and a half). He had "worked hard" for it (i.e. helping with chores and finding spare change around the house). He made sure to get his receipt when he was finished, then quickly took the tags off and wore it out of the store, and for the rest of the day.
I wish I could freeze time, he is growing up too fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment