Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Mulitiple Realities of Parenthood

Mornings at our house are usually pretty crazy. The kids are crabby, I'm crabby, there are arguments over stupid things, likes which tablet which kid gets to watch, driving me into fits of rage about how terribly spoiled my children are. We have to get bags ready, lunch ready, and get everything ready for school and the my morning trip to the gym. I always try to start my day with at least a few cuddles for each boy, hugs and kisses to fill up their hug sacks for the day.


One magical morning last week Rowan decided he did not want mommy cuddles to start his day, he wants Bobo cuddles. In even more shocking news Zane went along with his request. They picked a show to watch on Netflix and settled in for brotherly cuddles. It was the cutest thing possibly ever. Both gave each other pats and kisses and were surprisingly kind to each other all morning. When it was time to get dressed Rowan went and found Zane's shoes for him. Zane helped Rowan get his coat on, little things that seem like not a big deal, but believe me they are a big deal. There was no fighting,  no yelling, and no arguments. This is a huge deal! As a parent the reality is you have to be able to recognize the amazing, beautiful, perfect moments quickly because they don't come around often and they go by so quickly.




Once the craziness of the morning was over, and Zane was off to school, I hopped on the elliptical at the gym and found myself praying that bringing another baby into the family doesn't change these moments. I pray that my two boys will welcome their little brother with open arms, loving him, caring for him, and not losing their ever loving minds in the process. I pray these moments of pure joy and delight continue and that I am able to soak in every single last. The last first bath, the last first smile, the last first step, without my other boys spiraling into craziness.


As is always the case with parenthood, reality sunk back in the next day when Rowan decided to loose every single ounce of his mind and be an utter terror the entire day. This is very strange for Rowan. He rarely is in trouble and usually his punishment never has to go beyond Zach and I saying "ok you're going to be in trouble," or threatening to take away his skinny jeans (the ultimate threat for Rowan). But tjhis particular day he lost all privileges from tv, to skinny jeans, to cowboy boots. He spent a lot of time in his room, and I spent a lot of time fearing the worst once baby brother arrives. But that's the gig, there are great days with lots of fun, wonderful memories. Then those days are often followed by days where you're not quite sure you can survive until bedtime. When you can't quite fathom going through toddler town and the terribleness that is three years old ever again. When you end your day cleaning poop of the floor. That's the other reality of parenthood!



I have several friends pregnant with their first child. I almost sent this picture to them with the caption, "This will be your life in two to three years! Congrats, parenthood is the BEST!"



No comments:

Post a Comment