Today was Zane's third cardiology appointment in his short little life. My BFF from college, Anna, arrived yesterday for the baptism festivities since she is Zane's God Mother. So she got to come with us to the appointment and see where I work. Good times!!
Anyway the appointment went well. He weighed in at 11 lbs. 7 oz. so he is officially a little chunker. His oxygen saturation was 100%, perfect there. They had initially forgotten to take it and I guessed that he was probably at 97%, I'm such a doubter. We actually got to see Dr. Murphy, which is good. Turns out he only has clinic hours there on Friday, so why after my multiple phone calls they thought they should schedule me for an appointment on Thursday last time I will never know. He said Zane was looking and doing well. One thing he mentioned that makes since but I had never really thought of was that babies who grow fast and eat well have the nutrition needed for their hearts to grow as well, in turn making the condition worsen quicker. So really the babies that make it to a year or so without needing surgery usually are the ones who aren't thriving. I guess it is kind of a blessing and a curse in that he is getting bigger which is good for surgery but at the same time he is getting worse. The doctor reassured me, yet again, that Shaun White, the Olympic snowboard, had this condition and obviously is doing fine. I feel like he talks about Shaun White all day.
As far as when he will be getting his repair the doctor said probably October or November which gets him to around the 4 month mark. This will also get him in and out of the hospital before it gets too nasty with cold and flu season. Of course if he starts showing signs of his condition worsening they can do it before then. It was nice to hear some sort of time frame, but at the same time knowing he will still be really little when he has such a major surgery is really terrifying to me.
For now I am focusing on enjoying the time with all of our friends and family this weekend. Anna arrived yesterday, Able gets here at midnight tonight, and the Oklahoma crew ( Abbey, Maggie, Mom, and Dad ) all arrive tomorrow around noonish. I can't wait to have a full house of friends and family!
We love all three of you so incredibly much; you are only just beginning (now that you are a mother) to understand how much of a parent's heart is bound up in the life of their child.
ReplyDeleteIt only grows; it doesn't not fade.
Sorry about that. Does not fade would probably have been sufficient.
ReplyDeleteglad all went well. love you all so very much. happy baptismpalooza!
ReplyDeleteI love Shaun White, Audra! What a coincidence! Your blog makes me miss you so much! I'm enjoying every minute of it! When I read it I can at least pretend I'm around you all the time
ReplyDelete