Thursday, July 8, 2010

First Blog

I had originally planned to start blogging during my pregnancy. I was going to chronicle all my adventures as a cute pregnant lady. Upon becoming pregnant it became obvious that, A. I wasn't that cute, and B. a blog about my pregnancy would basically be updates on how crummy I felt and the numerous different places I had vomited. This seemed awfully negative so I decided I would wait to start blogging until my perfect little baby boy arrived. Then my blog would be filled with musings on my adorable baby boy and our adventures as a new little family. As it turns out things didn't quite work out that way. Over the past couple weeks, as we have adjusted to the new normal that is our life, I have given starting a blog a lot of thought. In the end I decided that it would be a good outlet for me and a way for the many people who are sending prayers our way to be kept up to date on Zane's condition.

On that note, today we went to Zane's second, of what I am sure will be many, cardiologist appointments. At our fist appointment we were told we would be seeing the doctor every two weeks. Which means they have to "fit us in" because our doctor is booked until the end of August. So after four days of me perfecting my "pushy mother" voice with his secretaries we got an appointment. Today when we got there we found out that our doctor was never made aware of said appointment, so we would be seeing a different cardiologist. I tried to not like the guy but he turned out to be very nice. But we will have to work on Dr. Murphy actually being at our next appointment.

Anyway, Zane had an echo cardiogram and an EKG done today. I got a little nervous when he screamed bloody murder while they were putting on the EKG leads but he calmed down and slept through both tests after that. The tests showed that the narrowing of his pulmonary artery has worsened over the past two weeks, which was what they expected would happen. For now this isn't causing any visible problems with our little guy. He is still nice and rosy and the oxygen saturation of his blood was great. However, as this worsens he may start looking a little purple at which point we will start discussing surgery. In somewhat good news we found out his narrowing is only at the level of the pulmonary valve which means an easier repair in the end if all stays the same. Overall the visit was good. Zach and I have been able to process the situation over the past couple weeks so we were able to ask intelligent questions and look at the echo images to see for ourselves what we were dealing with.

It is still a daily struggle to stay out of the dark place and enjoy our adorable little man without thinking about what lies ahead. We are still adjusting to the new normal and at times everyday I morn what I had pictured this time would be like. It is hard to change our mind set but we are getting there. We have been comforted greatly by the love, thoughts, and prayers of so many of you. We cannot thank you enough, keep them coming we need all the help we can get!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome first post and thank you so much for sharing your story. We love you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Abbey! I am so glad you have decided to take on a blog. I do not know firsthand what you are going through right now, but I do know what it is to be a mom and to love a child with all my heart. Although you have had a lot to take in, in a very short time, you will make it through and be so much stronger in the end! Zane is so very lucky to have you and Zach and all the family he does. It's times like these that being a nurse has its disadvantages...sometimes ignorance (to an extent) is bliss! Just know us Hladik girls are keeping all of you in our prayers! Keep your head up; I know you are a strong mommy! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you korenaks. jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been praying for your little guy since Abbey wrote about what you are going through. Stay strong and keep being that "pushy mother"! --Erin G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know there are a lot of people out here cheering you and your family on. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Mary (Abbey's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing with all of us, and remember, we all love and support you so you can share the bad days as well as the good. Isn't it great to get feedback? Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think about you guys so often. So glad you started a blog so we can stay up to date with Zane. I love your "new normal" attitude. How true is that! We continue to count our blessings as we tackle one new normal after another.
    Love to you all, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in my prayers. Thank you for the blog! I love the Grandma so much. Such a dear friend and so of course I love you too. Give Zane a big hug for me!! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I am in love with hhis blog! I have been asking for one for years!

    We are praying for all of you every night and thinking of you often.

    Hugs, kisses and hope!

    ReplyDelete