Thursday, April 9, 2015

Singing Boys

Work here is harder for the complete opposite reason than it was in St. Louis. There the patient's were heart breaking and the actual physical work was more demanding. Here, mostly by choice, I feel like I don't really have a home, lots of new people, new floors, different patients, and I haven't formed that family feeling that I had in St. Louis. It's fine, I only work two days a week, but those days can be lonely and trying at times. So my extremely warm welcome when I come home is greatly appreciated here.

I am usually greeted with hugs, kisses, and stories from their days at school. Rowan has gotten to where he can tell me things that he did, like "I play" or "go outside." No ground breaking stories being shared, but still a welcome change to be able to communicate with him. They eat most of my super and then it's quickly time for bed.

"I cuddo mamma," is always Rowan's request and tonight our "cuddo" was amazing. Rowan was in rare form, giving lots of kisses, "I kissa you mamma," and requesting all his favorite songs. Not necessarily bedtime songs, but his favorites. Itsy Bitsy Spider, Wheels on the Bus, ABC Song, Patty Cake, Woof Woof in the Window (How much is that doggie in the window), and of course ending with Little Boy.  Tonight was the first night that he sang all the songs with me and course knew all the hand motions to the songs that had them. Let me just go on record as saying nothing, on God's green earth, is as adorable than a two year old singing Wheels on the Bus or even better a song that I made up. Rowan sang all the words, in his tiny little voice, loud and proud, with his little head on my shoulder.

I could have stayed there, cuddling him, singing Wheels on the Bus repeatedly all night, but soon Rowan requested Daddy cuddles and I was on to the next boy. Zane, randomly, was in rare form with his singing this evening as well. I know that he knows all the words to the various lullabies but he very rarely will sing with me at night. He will sing all the words to songs on the radio, but usually at night he just wants to be cuddled and sung to. But tonight he joined right in, singing in his real, sweet, little boy singing voice, not yelling. His favorite night time song currently is the song Grandma made up for Rowan, which I wasn't sure he knew all the words too, but turns out he dose and did a beautiful job singing it to his stuffed animals.

By the time I was done cuddling and singing to both boys my hug sack was full and I was feeling much better. It was the greatest end to a difficult two days, where smiles and wonderful moments were few and far between. I am so blessed to spend the majority of my time with such wonderful little people, who are always smiling, always ready to play, who laugh a lot, who truly adore me, and whom I as truly adore was well. I try to stay focused on those things and less on the time I spend away. Sometimes that is very difficult, but bedtimes like this evenings always help!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful stuff! I am so happy you have little singers to cuddle. Rule number 1: if you sing, they will sing. thanks for passing along the music.

    ReplyDelete