Sunday, May 13, 2012

May Farm Time


It has become a yearly tradition (now that we have done it for two years) that we head to the farm to enjoy the beautiful May weather before it turns 100 degrees everyday. This year Zach joined us and his mission was to wire my mom's new garage with electricity. I thought this was going to be a large undertaking, but with Able and Jarrett's help the job only took one day. In my humble opinion they possibly could have stretched it out a bit, but that isn't how Zach rolls. He worked into the dark until it was done.

We flew in Friday afternoon, had a short visit with the Richards, before heading to the farm. As soon as we got in the car in the morning Zane started looking for cows. We would randomly hear "a cow" from the back seat while on HW 270. There are no cows on 270, but we had told him numerous times we were headed to Grandma's so he knew he would see cows by the end of the day. He saw a few on our way out of the city, then fell asleep, but when he woke up he was greeted by some serious cows. My mom's neighbors have a small herd of longhorns, God knows why, they are pretty pointless if you ask me, but they are fun to look at. One of them even had a nose ring, again pointless, but interesting.

Here we are saying "hi" to the cows, quite literally. Zane said hi and waved at them all.



Friday evening Zach and Able got started on the garage project while Zane explored Grandpa's farm. He absolutely loves it there. He has acres of land to explore, with all sorts of animals to chase, pet, and say hello to everyday. This trip we saw chickens, cats, rabbits, lizards, fish, birds, and a real life snake that I almost stepped on and it scared me to death. He loved looking at all the different plants, flower beds, and trees and I love watching him take in the place I call home. This year the wheat was extremely tall and very "turned," as they say, for mid May. During last May's visit Zane and I had to swat down to take our wheat pictures. This year the Grandkids were swallowed up by the waist high wheat. I could look out across a flat field of tall wheat all day. It is peaceful to me and feels like home. Of course it's tinged with sadness as I didn't appreciate or love the land enough when Dad was still here.
May 2011, very green, very short wheat.

May 2012, very tall, very turned wheat.
 Wheat pictures are a long standing tradition from where I come from. The key is to sit down then lean back into the wheat, so you are surrounded by it. Maggie has this technique down pat, the boys weren't catching on, so they all stood in the wheat instead. It isn't quite the same effect, but still a great, classic picture. 
This trip was also the first time that Zane and Maggie could actually play together without it ending violently. They became quick friends, going on all sorts of adventures together. Had they had their way they would have practiced taking turns on the swing all day long. This led to Zane learning a  new phrase by Saturday afternoon, "I swing." 

 Uncle Able even did some "twisty" swinging, which Zane of course liked, but Maggie wasn't so sure.
Since the adults got tired of swinging from time to time we had to come up with other activities. Here were the highlights, chasing the cat, throwing rocks of the bridge, chasing/talking to the chickens, eating icy pops, playing in various cars ( leading to Zane's second new phrase, "I drive"), crawling through the tunnels, porch play time, and the favorite activity of the weekend, swimming in the wash basin together. I could post twenty pictures of these two enjoying the wash basin, but I will try to keep to like half a dozen. Zane did prefer to swim naked, but kept his trunks on for swim time with Maggie.
 Kicking!!!
 Note the huge bandaid on his knee. This was to cover the gashes on his knee from pieces of cement he fell on in the drive way.
I think this one is my favorite, so adorable.

 Cousin love!
You know what takes the castle to another level, a cat to chase through it.
Here is Zane "driving" my Grandpa's 1972 Ranchero. This is the car that my Grandmother use to drive us around Okeene in. I "sat" (or was stored) behind the seat back in the day.

The other big thing that happened this visit was that Zane could not stop hurting himself. He fell down all the time, hit is head on numerous things, the main one being a brick, leading to a large goose egg and a lot of frozen peas to the head. I don't know if he was overly excited or just clumsy but by Sunday night he was battered and bruised. I had some serious concerns that my day care lady would hotline me when we got home, but I think Zach just told her we were at the farm and it was all understood. 

Note the hole in the patio, surrounded by brinks. Not a good combo, Zane was peering in the whole then fell, ending with a brick to the forehead.
 Sadly there was a lot of this face seen that weekend. In this particular picture he was crying because it was Maggie's turn to swing.
 Check out the shiner on his forehead. He was totally past it by this point.
 Oh and he puts things down his shirt, randomly, now.
 I had a great visit with Anna  and Emily, who both some how managed to not be photographed all weekend. Anna brought he husband and her huge dog up for her visit this time which was tons of fun. And I was so happy that Emily, Justin, and Kyser could all came over for the big cook out Saturday night. It was freakishly hot Saturday, but cool down for the rest of our visit. Kyser and Zane had a few personal space issues, such as Zane wanted to continually huge Kyser while Kyser did not want to be touch. But all and all they had fun together as well. Here they are enjoying some icy pops and checking out the tractor.


Maggie and Zane said good bye with a hug/fall on the ground session. The second cutest thing they did all weekend. I wish I had gotten this on video as their squeals and giggles were priceless.




It was great to be home, for a longer visit than usual. I wish Zane could go explore the farm more... maybe one day. My favorite quote from the weekend was when Miss Maggie, out of no where, told all of us at the dinner table, and I quote " I worry about the machine." The machine being mom's oil well behind her house. It as the funniest, though slightly saddest, thing ever. It's always great to hang out with the family. Next up farm camp in June.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all the great stories and pics. I loved the visit as well. Hope all is well there.

    ReplyDelete