Saturday, May 19, 2012

NATO Summit Weekend

Today is our second day in Chicago and during our morning stroll along the water front and through the parks I took note of a few obvious changes that had been made in preparation for the NATO summit this weekend. First of all the city is empty. I know a lot of people left the city to avoid the street closures and protesters that are suppose to be happening here this weekend. But let me just say that so far we haven't seen anyone occuping or protesting anything. On the flip side of that there is a huge, very visible, police, secret service, and military presencd in the city. I know it is all a precaution, and the president is coming so everyone is on high alert, but this morning it all felt a little bit silly and a lot like overkill as there were probably thirty policemen in the park that was full of us, a homeless man sleeping, and another couple walking their dog. On the edge of the street that marks the place where all streets south of there are closed to traffic they have lined the street with snow plows. I thought I had taken a picture of this on my iPad but can't seem to find it now that I am back to the hotel, I am sure the secret service erased that from iPad ASAP. All grassy areas in the parks are fenced off,and numerous streets have huge metal barricade walls lining them. Zach thinks all of this looks like a zombie Apocalypse, I will have to take his word for it since I have no idea what one of those is suppose to look like. When we arrived back at our hotel after our morning walk there were foreign dignitaries leaving the hotel in their unmarked cars with all sorts of people wearing ear pieces pro trolling the area. I personally liked looking at all the lapel pins, as everyone in suit here is wearing the flag of their country, how fun. Needless to say the city of Chicago is well prepared for the weekends events and hopefully all runs smoothly. For now the huge numbers of police are having quiet days in the park. We saw a group of police yesterday that were in full riot gear, think helmets with face shields and bullet proof vests, enjoying breakfast at Panera Bread, just incase some one tried to protest tastey bagels. I am glad we decided to go ahead and come instead of sitting at home all weekend. We pretty much have the run of the place, though a lot of shops have closed for the weekend. The trains are all running with no increased security, well at least none that we could notice. Zane thoroughly enjoyed his first experience with the metro system and says hi to all the choo choos as they pass. I don't have my actual computer so pictures from all our adventures will have to come later. This afternoon we are heading to Navy Pier, it should be tons of fun. Everyone here is braving for what they are calling a "heat wave," the high is suppose to be 88 degrees with a gorgeous cool breeze off the lake. I hate to break it to them, but anything less than 95 degrees is not a heat wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment