As I think I mentioned in my Ten on Tuesday post Zach left for Tulsa early Wednesday morning. I had all sorts of plans of things to do to keep Zane and I busy/out of the house while Zach was gone. We went to the zoo Wednesday morning with my friend Allie, hit up the park after nap time, and even got ice cream as a special treat. Also, mixed in during the day was phone calls to the FMLA people, continuing what is always and epic battle to get my maternity leave approved, and trying to figure out how my life is going to work while I'm on nights over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Neither of these are particularly fun things to do, both involving lots of stress, especially with a busy two year old at foot.
Our plan for Wednesday evening was to watch Cinderella, which had finally arrived after months of waiting. But first Zane wanted to play some choo choos downstairs. "Sure Zane, that sounds like a great idea." If only I could walk down the stairs without incident. Some how Zane and I ended up sliding on our backs down the last three stairs of the staircase, ending in a pill of tears at the bottom of the stairs. Of course I had a glass of water so that had also spilled everywhere. Initially I was concerned about the baby and my back, which was hurting pretty bad. Right up until the point where I tried to stand up and realized it was my foot that I should be concerned about. Zane, being the big boy that he is, went upstairs and found my phone and brought it me. Then I dragged myself upstairs, put ice on my foot, and started to wonder how I was going to get Zane a bath and to bed with my quickly swelling foot.
These are the moments where I feel about a thousand miles from my family, because usually in this situation Grandma would come watch the baby while I went to get an xray of my foot. Of course that isn't an option so I called my friend Allie, who Zane had hung out with all morning at the zoo, to see if she could come help. Thankfully Allie and her fiance Kurt came over and saved the day, getting Zane ready for bed while I went to minor emergency for foot xrays. By the time I got to the minor emergency clinic my foot was turning all sorts of fun colors and I was getting concerned that I had broken my foot, not just the toe, which would have been a much bigger deal.
After convincing the xray tech that I was alright with getting a toe xray while pregnant, they put on every piece of lead covering they could find on my belly, and I finally got my foot xrayed. I broke my left big toe and jammed the joint between the big toe and the foot badly, resulting in my swollen purple foot that I currently have. They sent me home with a post op shoe and their apologies that I couldn't take any anti-inflamitories so it might take longer to heal. The doctor's advice to me when I asked what I should do about work, since I am nurse, was "well walking from room to room would be fine, but walking up and down the hall might be too much." Pretty sure she has never actually been in a hospital or seen a nurse at work, because walking up and down the halls is in the job description. Working this weekend isn't looking good.
Zane made quick friends with Kurt and didn't seem to miss me while I was gone. He went to sleep without any problems while I tried to figure out how to keep my foot elevated while lying on my side, it wasn't pretty, and not comfortable at all. Yesterday I laid on the couch with my foot up all day, while Zane watched more TV/iPad than he has his entire life. I made a few short trips to the fridge, bathroom, and briefly outside, but nothing useful at all. This morning the foot is a whole new set of colors, greens and purples, still swollen and still hurting terribly. I have decided Tylenol is a cruel joke, but keep taking it with the hope that maybe the 8th time of taking it will be the charm.
Zane is quickly loosing patience with my handicap. This morning he wanted juice and couldn't wait for me to gimp into the kitchen so he went and got his learning tower, pushed it over to the counter, and was all ready to pour himself some juice, if only he could figure out how to take the cap off. He has been a big help, getting diapers, throwing them away, taking his dishes to the sink, walking everywhere without complaint since I can't lift him, and showing great concern for my toe boo boo, giving pats and hugs frequently. He did have a it of a mental breakdown last night about wanting daddy. I have had a few of those myself and can't wait for him to return this afternoon.
And that is the story of the great toe debacle of 2012, ok now back to putting my foot up, the throbbing is starting again.
No comments:
Post a Comment