Sunday, May 4, 2014

Little Dudes Dash 2014

Today was finally race day. We hadn't really trained a lot, but there had been a lot of build up for Zane's first big race. I got my recurrent respiratory junk, coughing, sinus pain, and pressure again on Friday so I woke up feeling less than enthused about our race, but I knew I had to power on since Zane was so excited. And I mean we already had the matching t-shirts so I couldn't bale now.

 Here I am with my Supermen, ready to go!

Today's Oklahoma weather was less than ideal for running with a one and three year old. Actually a new record high was set today, 96 degrees, shattering the old record from 1955 of 93 degrees. Of course there was a solid thirty to forty mile an hour wind which umm... helped??? We brought lots of water and sunscreen, dawned our Superman shirts and capes, and we were ready to role. There was so "warm up time" inside the Devon Boathouse, which is on the scenic Oklahoma river. I hear this is where the Olympic rowers and kayakers (is that a word?) train. I loved watching the kids twirl in their capes. Everyone was very pumped up and full of energy until we headed out into the heat and wind, then we loss some steam.

Brendan opted to wear his number on his back and no cape. He came in with the best time by far so maybe he was onto something.

 Here we are, Korenak Family, Team Superman!!!
 Maggie had a twirly cape and sparkly skirt, that is the best of both worlds.

 Lots of fun!

There was quite a long walk to the starting line and a lot of congestion at the start. I think Zane was slightly overwhelmed by the crowds, but once it thinned out we got some solid running in at the start before I think he had a borderline heat stroke. He kept trying to run, with burst of full out sprints, but then, Zane, who can never sit still or stop running, told me he couldn't run. So we took some breaks in the shade, drank some water, and had a short ride on daddy's shoulders, before finishing strong and running across the finish line! He got his medal from an OKC Baron's Cheerleader and was over the moon proud of himself. We were so proud of him too. He finished the whole thing even though it was stupidly hot. He kept trying to run, even though I could tell he was tired and hot. It was even better that he got to share the fun with his best buddies, cousins Maggie and Brendan.
Hydrating, pre-race!
 And we're off!
 Play break in some trees.
 A little ride on Daddy's shoulders. Even Superman needs a ride sometimes.
 This is how Ro experienced the race, laid back, maxing and relaxing.
 We had to loose the capes for our big finish.
 Getting his medal.
 So proud of his medal

 All the runners with their medals and very red faces.
 Love that Brendan rocked the Cardinals hat for the race.
 Team Korenaks
Team Richards

After the big event we all were in desperate need of some ice cream. Then off to the spice shop to show off their medals to Grandma!


 It was lots of fun, though I don't know it was the best thing to do for my lungs. I'm feeling pretty terrible this evening, but I knew that was going to happen. I'm glad Zane had such a good time and that he got to run with his cousins. Next year we should possible train a little bit more. Congrats to the Little Dudes and our Princess for a successful Princess Run and Little Dude Dash 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment