Friday, August 12, 2011

Cardiology appoiment

Today was Zane's 9 month cardiology follow up appointment. I can't believe it has been 9 months since his surgery and 6 months since we had seen Dr. Murphy. Oh how much Zane has changed since the last time we were there.  I was concerned about how I was going to keep wild man Zane still for an echo and EKG especially since I was sick yesterday and not feeling much better today.

Our appointment was at 9 am which landed smack dab in the middle of morning nap time. In the end I think this worked to my advantage because by the time we got back to the heart station for his echo he was tired and ready to snuggle. I was able to hold him while they did the tests and he did surprisingly well. I just held his hands so he didn't grab any wires, stickers, or get into the jell that was all over his chest. I had envisioned this being a disaster complete with multiple people having to hold Zane down, but he was a star patient once again. I wonder if he can remember all the times he had this done in the past?

After he was done with the testing we took our doggy stickers and headed back to the exam room to wait for the doctor. Dr. Murphy said his echo looked great, though it did show a tiny bit of possibly residual flow through the area where his VSD was patched. He couldn't hear a VSD murmur and some views looked fine, so he isn't concerned about it at all. Zane will never have a completely normal echo, what with all the VSD patch and his pulmonary artery valve not functioning properly, but it is as good as it can be with nothing to worry about. So much so that we don't have to go back for A YEAR!!! I can hardly contain my excitement.

I had planned on doing something fun and celebratory for this big day, but Zane was beat after the busy morning and I still feel pretty crummy so the celebrations will have to be put off a bit. What a difference a year makes. We are counting our blessings once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment