1. Well I haven't mentioned our New Years Eve celebrations mainly because there weren't any. I was scheduled to work New Years day so I headed to bed around 10pm. I ended up being on call instead of working, but I am fine with not staying up until midnight. I was woken up at midnight by the St. Louis fireworks and once again thought I was in a war zone, which is becoming a yearly tradition.
2. We did eat our black eyed peas on New Years day this year. I didn't do this New Years Day 2010 and we all know how unlucky that year was, so I will not be making that mistake again. Zane enjoyed them, eating a entire little bowl full. Zach had to make sure that your luck wasn't directly proportional to the number of beans you ate. In case you were wondering it is not, it is just a matter of eating some black eyed peas in order to secure your good luck for the year. I tried making a black eyed pea dip yesterday with the extra can I had. It turned out alright. Here is the link to the recipe. It is on the Pioneer Woman's website, which my mom and sister love, but I find I do much better with actual measurements and this recipe didn't have any, so not sure it came together as it should have.
3. I have been cooking more as of late. I think it is an attempt at finding new activities to keep Zane entertained inside. We made Chex mix, originally intended for work Sunday, but of course we ate it like addicts. I have never done drugs but I can only assume crack is a lot like Chex mix because I can't stop eating it. Zane is also addicted to it which is adorable. He also has inherited my addiction for potato chips, probably not a good thing.
4. Right I was going to put up the link for the tasty artichoke lasagna recipe, but got side tracked with my addictions. Here is the link. I really enjoyed this recipe because I like lasagna but it usually is too heavy. This recipe, with white sauce, is much lighter and I love artichokes, so was a win win for us.
5. Zane's vocabulary continues to grow by leaps and bounds. This weeks new words include, belly button, binka (for binki, always cried in a pathetic little voice), chip, pig, trees, cheese, vaguely bottom, and getting close to being able go say Iggy. This evening when I got out of the shower I could hear him talking and could have sworn he siad "I'm leaving", clear as day, strange. He mimics a lot more too, which has led to him being able to say 'la la loo' from dinosaur train, in his cute little singing voice. He also sings "da da.. da da" the dinosaur train theme song... ish, when he wants to watch it or while the song is playing. He is my budding little singer, I can already tell.
6. I am dreading taking down my Christmas decorations. They are so festive and once I take them down my house looks terribly bare and empty, with my two Valentine's day decorations. It always makes a huge mess and slightly depresses me. I am guessing they will stay up until after our last Christmas celebration, the weekend of January 13th. Yes, I know that is pretty much a month after Christmas, but it is the first weekend I won't have worked one or both days since Dec. 10th. Oh the joys of working at a hospital.
7. The Sooners won their bowl game, which is always ground breaking. I tried to stay up to watch it all, but it didn't even start until 9 pm, my usual bed time, so I made it until a little after half time, 11:30pm. Oh well, I was happy they won and am really hoping Landry enters the draft, I am beyond tired of him and his creepy mustache.
8. Last night Zach and I stayed up to root on the OSU Cowboys in the Tostitos Fiesta bowl. For those of you familiar with OU football you know that this isn't our favorite bowl, but I was happy that the Pokies had finally, and I do mean finally, made it to a BSC bowl. The Cowboys aren't our arch rival, Texas is, so I cheer for them whenever we aren't playing. Dad went to school there as well, so I grew up cheering for them. It turned out to be a great game with the Cowboys winning in over time. Zach and I did break out the Tostitos which is customary when this bowl game goes to over time. Congrats to all my Oklahoma State friends, here is to supporting all Oklahoma colleges!
9. This afternoon Zane and I had an impromptu tea party in the kitchen. His pans from Aunt Anna included a tea pot so we practiced pouring water out of the little tea pot into his little cup. We laid a dish towel out on the floor, which served as our table and we each had cups. Then we spent a lot of time practicing drinking, calmly, out of our cups. He has been capable of drinking out of a cup for awhile, but he needs some practice at taking little sips, to prevent the drowning/vomit situation, and most importantly not going crazy with excitement and spilling his water everywhere. By the end of our thirty minute tea party he was doing great. He used his little cup at dinner, with only a mild spill. It is progress and so fun.
10. All of my Christmas pictures came in today so now I can start my Christmas scrapbooking. I am a little over whelmed about where to start and which prompt to do first, but I am sure I will get inspired soon.
Hope everyone's 2012 is off to a great start. Happy First Tuesday of the year.
Sigh... why does no one here but me like artichokes. Hopeless.
ReplyDelete