Friday, April 27, 2012

Week in the life: Friday/work day


0538: I wake up before my alarm goes off, roll over to check my phone/turn off alarm only to find that my phone had turned off sometime during the night. Good thing I woke up on my own.

0545: Zane wakes up while I am brushing my teeth. On one hand I'm happy to see his smiling face and get some cuddles from my little man before going to work. On the other hand I know he won't go down for a nap until around noon.

0545-0610: Zane helps me get ready and pack my lunch. Then we cuddle on the couch until I have to leave. He gives me big hugs, kisses, and waves bye bye. Off I go to work, so sad I won't see that face for hours.

0645: Back at work for more fun. Same kids as yesterday which usually makes everything easier.

0730: Out of report and off to see our kids. There were some minor situations that made our morning busier than I would have liked, but all was well.

0900: I try to call Zach to hear about his morning, but he was ignoring me, strike out.

1230: To the gift shop with Karen for some ice tea and skittles, a little treat for day number two. This is probably why I am obese.

1315: Lunch with a friend, salad from downstairs and Doritos, just to keep things balance. Maggie tries to convince me to go get drinks after work. I try to convince her that I am old, miss my husband and child, and really just want to go home and go to sleep.

1500: A surprise visit from Jen and Beth, two nurses who have been travel nursing for almost a year. I love them both and they came by, with cupcakes, for a quick visit before flying off to Boston tomorrow. It was great to see them both, I miss them, and hope they come back to us  soon. The cupcakes were amazing as well, of course.

1615: Forgot that I have a kid that needs an MRI at 1700. Quickly place an IV and get him downstairs on time. This is what happens on slow days (mine being slow because the nurse I was training was literally doing all my work today), you forget to do things because you mind is constantly running down your mental list of what needs to be done.

1730: Evening phone call to my boys. Daddy and Zane were on their way home. Zane had a good day at daycare and was enjoying some pudding, all over himself, when Zach arrived to pick him up. Zach and I discuss options for childcare when Zane's daycare is closed. I get frustrated yet again by the whole situation and just wish my mom lived across the street instead of the random creepy guy.

1800: Get a text from Zach informing me that Zane and Tad (the singing frog toy) are having a verbal dispute. If you push Tad's belly he says "Five minutes to night night" then you push it again and he will say "Ten minutes to night night." The only way to get out of this cycle is to push his hands or feet. I guess Zane wasn't grasping that and kept pressing his belly, so Tad kept saying "five/ten minutes to night night." Zane was having none of this, responding "no night night" angrily each time. I wish I could have seen this dispute, but sadly I was still at work.

1930: Done with report and finally leaving work.  I don't know what I am going to do when I actually have to do all my work again. I walk to the garage by myself, but on the phone with Anna, who I am sure could have called 911 for me if need be. No I don't go get drinks after work, Maggie never asked again, because deep down she knows I'm old, but it's nice of her to ask though.

1940: Finally at my car heading home. Chit chat with mom on the way home.

2010: Home again, home again, hooray! Zane greeted me with an enthusiastic "my mamma" and a big hug when I walked in the door. Zach had made Roasted Spaghetti Squash with herbs for dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but apparently Zach "almost threw up" when he ate it. I was slightly concerned by the fact that Zach would feed me something that almost made him vomit, but he claims it was a texture thing and wasn't sure what I would think about it. In good news Zane loved it, which is always a plus.

2015: I notice the new facial bruises that Zane has and instantly start thinking bad thoughts about his daycare. Turns out Zane was chasing Zach with his miniature oven mitt and ran head on into the side of the door frame. This is completely believable and a pretty common story around our house. I take back my bad thoughts about his daycare.

2030: Off to bed for the little man after changing a poopy diaper. Zane took his meds like a champ and for some reason Zach and I did a huge celebration/cheering for this normal activity. The celebration consisted of fist pumping, which is one of Zane's favorite activities. He fist pumps and says "Go go go" when the Cardinals are mentioned, when he sees Tigers, or when prompted by his parents. This led to a pretty wired boy at night night time. He calmed down pretty well, sang along with me during some of his songs, gave hugs/pats, drank his milk, and was off to bed. There were a few mutters from his room, but he went to sleep quickly.

2040: Zane's asleep, I start this blog. Again no pictures, but I promise a plethora of pictures from our action packed weekend. Zach tells me that his parents can come up in July to watch Zane a couple days when his daycare is closed, so we are good to buy tickets home for the fourth of July. It's a big weight off our shoulders and we are beyond grateful for their help.

1900: Zach heads to the shower, Cards winning 12-1 so I feel safe to watch my new favorite show "Scandal" that I have recorded on my DVR. I was obviously sucked in my the name alone, because everyone knows I love a scandal. There is a little politics, some juicy relationship scandals, complete with affairs with the president. I don't know how long I will stick with it, but I'm liking it so far.

- I plan to shower, finish Scandal, and head to bed. I am always unbelievably exhausted after working two 12 hr shifts in a row. Hopefully I can catch up on some sleep this weekend.

Gratitude:
- Zach and I are both very grateful to his parents for being able to help us out when our daycare is closed. I know mom is going to be sad to miss the opportunity, but I she will be busy helping to open the spice shop.
- Getting to see Beth and Jen. I never see them, but think of them often. They are dear friend and it was great to see their smiling faces and hear that they are doing well.

Observations:
-Zane loves to fist pump for numerous reasons. I never envisioned teaching my child how to fist pump, but I guess it is an important life skill.
-Zane occasionally calls me mom, which really throws me off, and makes him seem much older. I informed him today he can't call me that until he is around 13 years old.
-How can my cousin Kristen be graduating high school already and how can it have been ten years since I graduated high school?

Favorite moment:
- Talking to my bff on my way to my car. I wish she lived across the street as well. She will listen to me complain for as long as I need her to and knows she doesn't have to have ground breaking advice, I just need some support. I wish I could cuddle her twin niece and nephew too.






No comments:

Post a Comment