Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Week in the life: Wednesday

0620: Zane's up = I'm up. Cuddles on the couch, watching Chuggington. I have a splitting headache for some reason, possibly because Zane had gotten up twice last night, with me being in charge of the last time at 0200, then couldn't fall back to sleep  until around 0300.

0640: Zane goes to "find daddy" = Daddy's awake. Zach starts grinding his coffee with his new antique coffee grinder. Turns out that was a terrible idea. The process of grinding the coffee took much longer than making the coffee, it made a terrible sound ( not helping the splitting headache), and Zane missed the fun, oh so quick, noise of the electrical grinder. I think all parties agreed to go back to that method tomorrow.

0700: Coffee finally ground and made. Zach participates in the hot dog dance at the end of Mickey Mouse club house before heading out the door.


0720: Zane and I eat breakfast of cheerios, bananas, and yogurt.

0800: Morning playtime upstairs. I watched a show off my DVR, Zane played with his newly working toys, and enjoyed his thirty minutes of iPad time before his morning nap. I researched composters online, cleaned up from breakfast, and got Zane dressed while he was playing.

0900: Nap time #1; I try to research composters more, but feel asleep on the couch with my iPad. I had a dream where we lived in a huge house, with a four car garage, but then I opened the garage door and there were skunks, that is pretty much the story of my life.

1030: Zane's up and in a great mood. We played "pretend we're going night night" in Zane's bed. This included tickle time and throwing all his stuffed animals ar,ound his room and/or placing them in the appropriate places on his farm rug.

1045: Zane watches Timmy Time, which turns out is a spin off of Shaun the Sheep, purely staring Timmy, hence the new toys. I get dressed and pull our stuff together for our outing.

1100: Out the door to the botanical gardens. Turns out it is freakishly hot outside and everyone and their toddler are there today. We played in the Chidlren's Garden area for maybe twenty minutes before Zane informed me that he was hungry and I was dying of a heat stroke. Zane climbed on everything, slid down the big tree slides, and wanted to do all other sorts of big boy things, but I wasn't sure how to manage that with only one adult.
The Lantern Festival is coming up and seems to be much more intense than past years.

Climbing the big stairs up to the top of the tree slide. I would go up with him, get him on the slide, run down the stairs, repeat. Good work out.
 Flower bells!

1130: Lunch time with no high chairs, always a struggle/huge mess. I had brought Zane a Sammy Jammy PB&J and a squeezable apple sauce. I got a the chicken salad sandwich and coleslaw. Zane enjoyed all these things and ate the squeezable apple sauce without incident. This was really my first try with them and had envisioned apple sauce everywhere. I realized today that it is impossible to get Zane to drink out of a sippy cup if I have a cup with a straw, this too is very messy.

1200: Zane played on the sheep statues. I forgot they were there, but of course were a big hit. He sat on all of them, gave them all pats, and of course let them all have a drink of his juice. We then wondered aimlessly around the garden, a good work out for me, but probably boring for Zane. We did see the iris, which were beautiful, then headed to the car. I was socked in sweat and Zane was socked in apple juice, see above about cup with a straw.

 Zane loved this random building with a Victorian looking statue in it. 
I enjoyed the tree beside it that branches came and rested on the ground.
 And the irises were gorgeous and smelled like my Grandmother's garden.
 In a sad note they had to get all new roses, I think due to some sort of rose disease.

1300: We are in the car, exhausted and hot, after a pit stop at the gift shop to get a book. Zane's choice; Pop up farm animal book, of course.

1330: Stopped at Shop n Save for a "quick" grocery stop to pick up all I forgot to get at Target yesterday. This turned into a debacle. I bought some more fruit squeeze packets, since they were on sale, and such a success at lunch. I gave one to Zane while bagging my groceries and for some reason Zane couldn't figure it out, literally an hour after eating an entire one without any problems and acted as though it was a foreign concept. It was exactly how I had envisioned the squeezable fruit snacks to go, apple sauce everywhere, huge mess. I quickly packed our things and headed to the car. Oh wait.... we left a bag inside, like I always say MAKE TIME TO DO IT TWICE. So we ran back inside, which took forever, because we of course were in the big car cart which is next to impossible to steer. Than back to the car with my sticky sticky boy.

1400: At home for midday bath for my sweaty, sticky, boy before nap time. Here is my little burrito after bath. Yes I bathed him before putting away the groceries and he needed to remind me.

1430: Nap #2; I sit and drink probably a gallon of water, some apples and peanut butter, then start this blog. I continue trying to research composters and a possible new camera with no luck. Start a load of laundry.

1600: Zane is up from his nap and we head outside with an icy pop. Zane paints, plays with his car, plays with his sand table, paints with water, which of course turns to playing in water very quickly. We trying calling Gma, then call daddy on his way home but have to hang up when Zane gets his foot pinched in a folded up lawn chair. That meant it was time for boo boo bunny and tiger to come out. Zane enjoys boo boo bunny but always put it on other parts of his body besides the part that is actually injured, his foot in this case.

1715: Inside for dry clothes and to reheat the Taquitos for dinner.

1720: Daddy home from work, and there was much rejoicing.

1730: Left overs for dinner because I couldn't face cooking this evening. I have to say they were just as good reheated in the oven as they were the first time.

1800: Back outside. Zane had quite a few listening issues outside, so we weren't out long. Mainly long enough to kick the ball around a bit then clean up the toys/paint.

1830: Back inside with a request to watch sheep from a very emotional Zane. I'm not sure if Zane is tired, getting sick, or just testing boundaries this evening but he has had a lot of problems listening. Such as us telling him to do or not do something and he doing the exact opposite of what we said. This isn't an everyday thing, some days go by without him getting in trouble or being sent to timeout at all. He is very capable of being loving and listening, but for some reason he struggled with both of those things. So lets suffice it to say it was a trying evening.

1930: Zane went to bed early this evening, do to the above mentioned issued. Key words in that sentence being, went to bed not went to sleep. He couldn't determine what if anything he would like to watch for his TV time, he needed to be cuddled at all times, but couldn't sit still or resist the urge to hit people. Early bedtime seemed like a good solution as he appeared terribly tired. Of course it didn't go well, with puppy dog tears all around.

1945: Zane is making random noises in his room, after two attempts of cuddle/bedtime. Zach and I are pondering our parenting abilities. I have the sick feeling of dread in my stomach that I get every night before I have to work the next day. It's the awful realization that I will only see my son for maximum a hour, and most likely less. I won't know anything that goes on in his life and it never stops breaking my heart.

2000: Zane is still randomly crying and babbling in his room. Zach goes back in to try to pull that situation together. It sounds like it going well, but who knows.

2015: Sweet sound of silence coming from my babies room. I am watching a Rock Center report about what happens to people without health insurance. It makes me terrified that Zane will turn 27 and not be able to get insurance, due to his pre-existing condition, if the Health Care bill is repealed by the supreme court. It is a very personal issue to me and I seem to be surrounded by stories about it a lot lately. I'm not trying to get political, I'm just saying. Ok, time for me to get myself pulled together so I can get to bed at a decent hour. Early morning with a long day ahead of me tomorrow.


Observations:
  • It is unnecessarily hot and I am dreading summer.
  • How am I so fat when I am constantly either carrying, pushing, or running after a thirty pound child?
  • Zane loves drinking out of a big cup with a straw, but isn't that great at it, yet!!
Gratitude: 
  •  I love our backyard. Initially it seemed to small when we were buying the house, but it is actually a perfect size for us and I love our time out there.
  • Having my biggest issue to deal with be why my two year old is testing his boundaries. 
Favorite Moment:
  • Watching Zane talk to, pat, and love on the sheep statues. He said hi and waved at all the children and parents that were there as well. He is so friendly to everyone, and loves animals, real, stuffed, or statued. It was precious.


1 comment:

  1. You do so many awesome outings with him. I feel like such the slacker on the "fun" side this week as mostly spent all day doing chores together today. Not our most fun day ever. I guess there is always tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete