One thing that I always hear from people, when they learn that I am a boy mom, is "boys will always love their Mama." I hope this is true, but this statement usually makes me cringe at the thought of having three teenage boys and how much they won't be loving me during those years. I fear the days ahead with a house full of stinky boys who want NOTHING to do with me. However, in good news those years are still pretty far away so I'm trying to savor all the amazing days filled of little boy cuddles right now.
Yesterday was a day when no one could get enough Mommy cuddles. This was mostly due to the fact that Zane was under the weather. He's been fighting a allergies/cough for a week or so, with on and off headaches. A headache is Zane's only symptom for EVERYTHING that might be wrong with him, but yesterday he also spiked a fever and stopped moving which are his other two big tells. I had taken him to his pediatrician last Friday after he came home from school with a headache. All his swabs were negative and his ears looked great. The doctor looked at me like I was idiot, and we head home. This morning, while I was at work, the boys spent almost three hours at the weekend clinic ($$$) and found out he now has strep and ear infections. Not good for poor Zane or his pregnant Mamma who might legit die/have a baby if I get strep.
No one ever wants to see their baby sick, but the only time I really get to cuddle my huge, seventy five pound, six year old is when he's sick. Rowan cuddles me when Zane is at school, but usually when Zane's home they are off playing together and I'm mostly ignored. However, when Zane was sick and not wanting to play, of course Rowan then needed more cuddles as well. Baby Thatcher also helped get me some attention, since both boys need to cuddle and talk to their baby brother all the time. Often forgetting to talk to or cuddle me in the process, just check in with Thatcher.
This led to a day of everyone adoring Mommy and needing lots and lots of my attention yesterday. We watched The Lion King, after it became clear that Rowan didn't know any of the songs and I don't think had ever watched it (mom fail, and not acceptable). We took long naps, then back to the couch for more pats and cuddles!! Sadly in the evening I had to go watch B in the State Championship swim meet. Rowan wanted to come, which left Zane home sick with Daddy (who, I reminded them frequently yesterday, loves them as much as I do, but they weren't believing it.) Zane was devastated and cried big puppy dog tears when I left (Mom I just miss you sooo much!). Be still my heart.
Once I returned, back to the couch I went with a boy under each arm, and lots of pats all around. As I sat there surrounded by my sweet boys, all I could think was, "where will I put the other boy?" Neither big boy seemed excited about scooting over or making room for baby brother in between us yesterday. Which then led me to the bigger fear that my sweet, loving, oh say happy boys will loose their minds once baby brother arrives and the wonderful equilibrium we've finally reached at our house will be shattered. I tell myself they will get tired of baby brother really quickly, since babies are in reality very boring, and then just go play with each other. There is a possibility of this happening, but probably a greater possibility of little Rowan melting into a pile of emotions when he can't be the center of my attention, 100% of the time. Or they will both melt into a puddle of emotions, and God knows I'll be a puddle of emotions, then we'll be in a mell of a hess, as they say.
It took us so long to get to the place that everyone is somewhat pulled together. Everyone is happy, potty trained, not having huge meltdowns everyday, getting along with each other, sleeping well, and borderline normal human beings. You can't help but cringe at the thought of exploding all that, yet again. I'm proud of what wonderful little people they have become. They are polite and kind, make friends easily, and are my constant helpers. They have learned to play together well, without killing each other. They can take care of themselves, for the most part, so now I just get to shower them with love and attention, not constantly have to help keep them alive, it's just lovely!
They are both old enough to understand what's happening, and have each other, so theoretically they should handle everything well. However, Zach and I are older now too, and are sure not handle sleep deprivation nearly as well as we did almost seven years ago. And we've never had to manage three children, which is sure to be different and challenging in it's own way. So lots of prayers for a calm little man, who miraculously is a great sleeper. And of course prayers for my sweet boys, that I'm not ruining their happy little lives, where they can currently, for a few more weeks at least, cuddle their mommy until their little hearts content.
No comments:
Post a Comment