Today was the big day when we finally met with Zane's Cardiac surgeon. As I suspected this was a very anticlimactic day. Nothing of excitement happened at all. We arrived at Dr. Huddleston's office at 10:15, 15 minutes before our schedule "appointment" time of 10:30. We have come to realize that "appointment" really means the time you should show up to start waiting to see you doctor. Today we waited an hour and a half in the tiniest waiting room ever. I got pretty claustrophobic when we went in because it was completely full ( four families). Zane did pretty good waiting but really would have liked to be playing in his gym or chair and not being held.
The long wait was followed by our "big" meeting with the surgeon. By big I mean maybe 10 minutes max. He didn't go through the details of everything again since his nurse practitioner had done that last week. He gave us what sounded like a speel he has given hundreds of times ( took this as a good sign ) to many families in our same situation. He went over what could possibly go wrong/the risks of surgery. Not something I want to think about but I know that he had to tell us. He sounded very confident in the surgery going well and Zane recovering fine. His ego and confidence were palpable in the room, which is definitely what I want from my babies heart surgeon.
There was really nothing new to take away from the situation. He thought Zane was big enough now but still wanted to let his immune system get a little better, so the plan is to schedule his surgery for some time after his four month bday (Oct. 19th) and before Halloween. Which really could have been phrased the last two weeks of October, but whatever. The NP checked Zane's O2 sats after the meeting and they were fine, sitting at 97% which is great.
We got home from our 10:30 appointment at around 2pm with really nothing to report to our families who were nervously waiting. The day as a whole was utterly depressing and very strange. You never picture having to meet the man who will literally have your baby's life in his hands. I hope no one reading this will ever have to experience it, it is the worst feeling ever.
HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY:
So today was difficult but there was one big shinning moment. My oldest nephew Clay, who is 7, has started playing flag football and found out today that his team will be THE SOONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting is that? Apparently the team was originally going to be the longhorns ( BOOOOO) but the uniforms were on back order so they decided to be the Sooners. So obviously the coach doesn't know about the Texas vs. OK situation, but whatever, I'm excited to cheer on my little Sooner nephew!!! Clay even called me this evening to tell me himself that he is going to be a Sooner. He was very excited to hear that his uniforms were going to be red and when I asked him what number he wanted to be he informed me that his favorite numbers were, and I quote "basically 10, 12, 16." Have I mentioned how much I love being an Aunt. GO SOONERS!
definitely love the direct quite from clay!
ReplyDelete