One friendship that really has meant a lot to me this year, and for the past 15 years, is my dear friend Emily. We met in 5th grade. I remember that we met next to the ball bin at recess, pretty sure I asked her if she wanted to play outside, she said sure, and we have been BFF ever since. She was the one friend I had in high school that didn't turn out to be a crazy person, hence why she is the only person from my high school class that I still talk to, 9 years later.
She is the kind of friend that you don't have to talk to often to stay close to. In college we rarely talked but when I got engaged I knew she needed to be standing with me at my wedding. A year later when she got married I was there for her, in an incredibly hot pink dress I might add. This past year we went through pregnancy together, ending with us having baby boys two days apart. We had hopes of talking about the joys of motherhood after they were born. Instead she sent me constant prayers, text messages, emails, and calls reassuring that I could do this and that everything would be ok.
When Dad died I was shocked at how important Emily's presence was to me during those early days in Oklahoma. She was the one person other than my family who had been with me the longest. She loved my Dad like her own and Dad loved her like a daughter. She was strong for me at the funeral and visitation through her heartbreak. She is my second sister, who I rarely see, but who I adore. Thanks for everything Em! Love you and your little boy! Hope to see you when I'm in OK next week.
Her friendship over this past year has changed my "world view" by reinforcing the importance of staying in contact and nurturing the few true friends you meet in your life. I am not the best at maintaining friendships. I am lazy and when I have been out of touch with someone for a while a assume they don't want to talk to me or they wouldn't remember me after time has passed. So next year I am going to try to be better at staying in touch with those friends who aren't near to me and doing more with those that are close by.
No comments:
Post a Comment