Sunday, June 4, 2017

End of the School Year Wrap Up

Zane's first year of school flew by unbelievably fast. I feel like it was yesterday that we were buying school supplies and worrying about how he would do with the big transition. Now kindergarten is in the books. Zane did AMAZINGLY well this year. I was continually impressed with his progress and behavior. I kept bracing myself for the email or the phone call telling me my child couldn't sit still, but it never came. He got glowing reports at parent teacher conferences and he mastered all the academics of kindergarten with ease. As he relayed stories of classmates who were struggling I couldn't help but notice that all of those classmates had yet to turn six with only weeks left in school. I can say with all confidence that Zane's extra year at home was a huge success and well worth the money and time we spent to make it happen.

The last month of school was full of all types of activities as the school year wound down. There was twenty six days of letter themed countdown, teacher appreciation week (that also came with themed days), a book fair, Antler Day (day of fun and games), snow cones to buy, popsicles for sale, and birthday celebrations everyday at snack time for all the before mentioned children who would be turning six over the summer. There was also one last Cub Scout get together the night before the last day of school. For all the wonderful things that Cub Scouts are (thrifty, brave, clean, kind, reverent and the other nine or ten things they say in the Scout law) they are not organized. This makes the Cub Scout events borderline unbearable for me, but we power on. The last event was a cookout where the older kids got their badges and what not for the year and the rest of us ate cold hot dogs and ran around outside. Zane was mainly excited that he got to wear his uniform.


During all this craziness the kindergarteners were working hard on their Big Mouth Frog program, which was to be performed the morning of the last day of school. Around the beginning of May Zane told me that his music teacher had asked him to be the crocodile in this play. This meant he got to be one of three children in the play with a costume and speaking part. We were given a crocodile outfit, which Zane brought home and practiced singing, and doing his hand motions in, for days.



 During these weeks of practice Zach took to singing the wrong words to the song, as a joke, then Zane would yell and correct him with the correct words. Very funny and entertaining until the night before the big event when Zach sang the correct words for once making Zane question everything he had practiced. This lead to frantically searching for Wide Mouth Frog program videos YouTube, watching them, and trying to convince Zane that he knew the right words and not to worry about it. This picture is of Zane's final late night practice after the stupidly long Cub Scout cook out.

This is our cool crocodile on the morning of the last day of kindergarten. He wore this to school in the morning since the program was first thing. I took him to school and sent him out to the playground in this costume, saying prayers that he didn't loose his tail or have a heat stroke before the play started.

Every crocodile has a trusty side kick to practice his song with. Rowan knew the whole thing and all the motions as well.

 The program followed a the wide mouth frog mamma, who had just had baby frogs, around while she met various animals and asked them what they feed their babies. Zane was the final act and tried to eat the wide mouth frog.
 Zane set on the vary edge of the stage to try to hide a little bit during the other songs, but he knew all the songs and motions for everyone's song. After the frog had met all the other animals she comes upon the crocodile. Here's Zane's big entrance where he "walks in like a cool guy" and sings his song.

I am a crocodile king of the swamp
I am a crocodile king of the swam
chomp champ
crack crack
here my jaws go snap snap
I eat wide mouth froggies just like that (aggressive point to the mamma frog)
I eat wide moth froggies just like that
(After all the confusion I'm only mostly sure those are the correct words)

 
My favorite part is the wide mouth frog Mamma's response to Zane's song
"Uh oh, big mistake, hop away fast!"

I have started saying this randomly in everyday life and find it very entertaining. After she hops away fast Zane gives, what he described as a speech, and I quote, "DARN, I'll get you  next time" as he pointed at the mamma frog. Very dramatic and delivered perfectly.
 And so ended Zane's first year of school. After the program we gave his crocodile costume back to Mrs. Laurick, got his report card, and checked him out for the last day. He was very excited to be done, but also a little sad to say good bye to Mrs. Laurick who he really grew to love. Here he is with Mrs. Laurick a few weeks ago. She was truly the perfect fit for Zane's first teacher and taught him so much.

The next to last day of school I took his end of the year pictures, since he would be dressed as a crocodile on the last day. Here are the side by sides, first day on the left, last day on the right. He has grown so much.  I thought he was huge and pretty mature when he started, but my how far he's come.
Also for the end of the year I got a men's XL Class of 2029 shirt. The goal/plan is to take a picture of him in this shirt on the last day of every school year. Then when he's a senior he can take a picture in it when he graduates. I can't think about that last part or I'll cry, but I think it's a cute idea if I can remember to do it. Here is the first picture! It's huge on him now, I hope it's big enough for senior Zane.

After we checked him out of school we had a celebratory lunch with Grandma then that evening we went down to the Wheeler District of OKC to ride the ferris wheel. This is a brand new area of downtown, that isn't really development yet beyond the ferris wheel and picnic table area. It has lots of potential and that evening Uncle Able was manning the Food For All food truck. Food was technically free, but they take donations to help feed the homeless with the food truck. The whole family was there (minus Brendan who had a swim party) so we had lots of fun riding the ferris wheel and enjoying a lovely evening. It was a great way to celebrate the end of the school year and welcome summer!



 Love cuddling this girl!



No comments:

Post a Comment