Thursday, October 28, 2010

Update and Pictures

I meant to put some pictures up yesterday with last nights blog but with the tiny bit of drama that was going on last night I ended up just giving the update, sans pictures. So today I wanted to put some pictures up so you can see our little man.

First of all, the update. Last night was trying to say the least. I think I got about 2 hours of sleep. Between our roommate screaming and Zane screaming I was up most of the night, comforting and overseeing Zane's care. But he did pretty well, we were just  having problems with pain and him having to be woken up for diaper changes, dressing changes, assessments, ect.  So this morning I could not stay awake anymore and headed home to try to get some sleep. While I was gone Zane got most of his tubes/drains removed. They took out both of his chest tubes, the pacer wires they had left on his heart in case he would have needed a pace maker, his arterial line ( which was on his right wrist), and his central line which was above his left clavicle. All he has left now is his little IV in his right foot and the dressing from his surgery. He now can be held easily which I think is helping with him eating better, but I do think it hurts his chest a little a bit. He is also resting much more calmly today, so I think he is feeling better. We have had a restful morning and we are now just waiting to be transferred to the step down unit, 7West.

This first picture is of Zane in his ICU bed with all of his pumps and monitors you can barely see Zane. Don't worry we are down to two pumps now.

 This is Zane after he had his first dressing change. His dressing was much bigger when he got back from the OR so this was a big step up. You can also see all his other tubes that he had, but not anymore, HOORAY!





 The picture to right is me feeding Zane this morning. He is eating much better now that he can be held during his feeds. We still aren't back to where we once were but we will get there. The swelling on his face is going down too.

The picture below here is of Zane getting his echo done this morning. It was great to see his heart without the gaping hole between his ventricles, but he will always have back flow of blood  into his lungs since they had to patch his pulmonary artery. They tell me kids do fine with this so I am not to concerned.

 This is my friend Mollie who came down to visit us today. She has been wanting to make the blog for a while so I had to take her picture with Zane. Thanks for stopping by checking in on us Mollie!!


 Our latest visitors were Maggie and Brandi, nursing friends of mine from the 12th floor. They were both amazed how how great Zane looked. You can also see that I brought Mooly up to the hospital today to keep Zane company.

3 comments:

  1. Audra, I am trilled that Zane is recovering so well. Welove you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough to see such a little guy hooked up to so many tubes... but great to see him free of them again. So glad he's doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing this small piece of heaven with all the tubes and monitors reaffirms why I take care of "big" people! We are very anxious to see Zane and check him out for ourselves...but right now we have to count on Mooly to watch over him! :)
    Love and prayers, Aunt Sherry and Uncle Craig

    ReplyDelete