Today my goal was to post a positive about how much I love being a mother and the fun Zane and I have since usually my blog is a bit of a downer. However, other situations arose which screwed with my plan and has me very frustrated, so that is what I'm blogging instead, sorry. I do love being Zane's Mommy and we do have fun, I promise. But here is my frustrating story.
So when we met with the NP yesterday she asked us about Zane's eating which I feel has been slowly decreasing over the past week or two. We were thinking it was because he was getting tired due to his condition and was pulling away from the bottle more often. When we told her this she said that based on the anatomy of his condition he shouldn't be having problems eating and that she thinks he may have acid reflux. I questioned this immediately because he isn't fussy after or during eating he just takes breaks. Well were I went wrong was saying "he isn't fussy" out loud. It's like saying that it's slow on the floor at work, you have just bought yourself at least five admissions or some crisis situation. Today I became the proud mother of a baby who was fussy when he ate. He only ate one or two ounces at a time and got fussy during and after eating. After his first bottle this morning he threw up all over me. Super, acid reflux!! Poor kid he can't catch a break. He felt crabby on and off today and had multiple screaming fits which then lead to purple hands and feet which equals sadness all around.
The NP consulted with Zane's cardiologist and primary pediatrician who all agreed that it sounded like acid reflux and he is being started on Pepcid tomorrow. I hear from friends and family whose children have had acid reflux that this is liquid gold and will cost us around $150. This also means I have to go back to Children's tomorrow to pick up the $150 prescription. I know that pretty much every baby has some form of this and it isn't a big deal, but it was just frustrating to have something else added to our plate. It causes him to be upset more and in turn make his little heart work harder. Here's hoping the liquid gold does the trick and helps him feel/eat better soon so he can continue to get bigger and stronger.
Ah, so sorry. The reflux with M was no fun, though her prescription was less expensive (is it weird that I've already forgotten what it was???) In any case, hopefully it will work well and lucky you to have a good team around you.
ReplyDelete