I realize now how much I took these delicious vegetables for granted. Now that I live away from home I rarely get to enjoy these favorite foods. I try to recreate them on occasion but I have yet to be able to make any of them taste as good as when Mom cooked them. However, every summer since I have been married I have tried to grow some sort of vegetable. At our last apartment I grew tomatoes in our three foot by two foot little plot of dirt and they did pretty well. I tried to grow squash and peppers in a pot, but both of them died before we got any produce.
When we bought our house I was super excited about having a backyard where I could grow
Turns out I'm not that great of a gardener. Part of my problem could have been that right around the time things should have started to produce something I was had a baby and all the drama that followed. But to date we have had 3 tomatoes, one squash ( both squash plants have since died), 10 beats ( the largest being maybe an inch long, all eaten this evening), lettuce for one salad and a couple sandwiches ( Peter Rabbit got the best of this ),and Abbey claims to have used some of our carrots and onions in her cooking last week. The pepper plants look great but have produced zero peppers. The garlic made maybe one clove per plant, hardly worth digging around to try to find them.
We did plant herbs around the edge of an existing flower bed and those little plants have done well. We have used them a lot and it is super fun to go cut fresh herbs while cooking. But other than that I feel that I am a pretty miserable gardener. I am currently debating if I should try again next year or just save my money and go to the farmers market.
No comments:
Post a Comment